Imagine the tummies of everyone in the oval office if they simply ate more kraut. All the tight, stressful energy melts away, bowels loosen, relief at last. Instead of power-over decisions, we now have win-win-win decisions that benefit all!
Student loan debt is forgiven, credit card interest rates become a thing of the past, and for god sake, loans for off-grid housing are not only made available but are encouraged and handed out with remarkable incentives.
I know there are many out there who cannot stomach what happened in the 2016 presidential election, so why not bring a little ease to all our tummies and digestive tracts by eating more Primal Kraut starting this year.
Primal inspired kraut is a wonderful addition to any meal. In fact, I highly recommend eating some form of fermented food with each meal-this will help to boost stomach acid levels necessary for proper digestion and assimilation of our food, it will increase healthy gut flora and is known to increase immunity due to its natural antibiotic properties.
Making homemade kraut can be a wonderful asset to your wellbeing. It's like self-care in a jar. Below is a video I created that provides you with a step-by-step walk through on how to make kraut. For all you inspired to make homemade kraut, feel free to check it out.
However, for many, making homemade kraut can be timely. And, the good news is that there are really awesome, high-quality, organic fermented foods in pretty much all health food stores today. When shopping for Primal inspired kraut, here's what to look for:
1. Organic veggies
2. Look for kraut that has been fermented with sea salt (it will include the ingredient sea salt on the label)
3. Avoid krauts, pickles and other fermented foods that have any of the following ingredients: sugar, vinegar, potassium chloride, or other preservatives. The only ingredients on the label should be organic veggies and sea salt.
When kraut is produced in a Primal way, it does not include additives or vinegar. These ingredients may preserve foods however, they greatly reduce the nutritional value of foods. Not to mention the havoc they wreck on our cells, tissues and organs.
Instead, Primal Kraut and other Primally prepared fermented foods, are preserved with sea salt. They can also be preserved using a homemade brine such as sauerkraut juice, whey or left-over liquid from a previous Primal fermented food or beverage.
When food is preserved in this Primal way, the way our ancient ancestors did years ago, it not only preserves the food, but the nutritional quality of the food increases with time.
True kraut is an antique, an elder of the food world if you will. So, this 2017, we can take our wellbeing into our own hands simply by eating more kraut!
My Primal Ginger Kraut Recipe
1 large head or 2 medium heads cabbage
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1.5 tablespoons Celtic sea salt
2 tablespoons humic & fulvic water (I purchase my humic & fulvic minerals here)
You should be able to make around 2 quarts of kraut from 1 very large head of cabbage or 2 medium heads of cabbage.
1. Chop cabbage with a knife or shred/dice in a food processor. Place shredded or diced cabbage in a large bowl with sea salt.
2. Grate 2 tablespoons fresh ginger and place in bowl with cabbage and sea salt.
3. Pound with a kraut pounder or meat hammer for 10 minutes or until juices are released (it should look and sound moist).
4. Place in quart sized mason jar and press the cabbage down firmly until the juices rise to the top. The top of the cabbage should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.
5. Add humic & fulvic water (filtered water with humic & fulvic minerals added).
6. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for 3 days before placing in the fridge. Sauerkraut may be eaten immediately, but definitely improves with age. Remember to always buy organic ingredients!
Heathar is a primal foods enthusiast and expert. She has studied food and nutrition for over 15 years and continues to do so to this day. When Heathar isn't in the kitchen, she's either writing, hiking or doing her primal energetics thing. If you are interested in discovering how Heathar's nutrition work may benefit you, contact her to schedule a free 45-minute phone consultation. Until then, Eat, Live and Be Primal!